SightReader Master Extreme
Do a search on sight-reading software for guitar or bass – and you’ll only find some flash-card software or one other, more interesting software called “SightReader for guitar”, “SightReader Master”or SightReader for Bass.
Well, I’m glad to say that I have nothing to do with the flash-cards, but these other downloads are programs that I created!
The difficulty is not finding the notes – or playing the rhythms – but doing them both at the same time!
Right now, I’ve culminated all that programming experience into my wish-list for guitar/bass software.
This site is where the only guitar/bass sight-reading software is available.And this new feature is embedded in Guitar Freak Workstation.
I wanted sight-reading software that should:
- Be able to choose single notes or chords (that I have selected)
- choose options to suit my current level of ability – whether I’ve ever read music or not – maybe show the names of the notes or chords if needed
- I control the tempo
- I choose how often certain notes (whole, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16ths, triplets of all of those, groups of 5 etc…) would appear
- I choose how often rests would happen – if at all.
- I choose (popular request) what scale the notes would come from
- I choose exactly where on the fretboard I want the chords and/or single notes come from – I want to see the fretboard during the process so I know where to find the notes.
- I want to control whether ties happen and how often.
- I choose 4/4, 3/4 or 6/8 time.
- I want a help file that teaches me important tips on reading music, charts and the like.
- I want to learn to read up to four bars ahead - across and down the page.
- Large enough so that I can see it clearly and resemble what I’ll see in written music.
- (Advanced) I want to have accompanying chords and bass notes to appear at the top of the music so I can practice playing chords with the single note at the top (use this often if you want work on cruise ships – $$$)
- I want to hear the notes as I play along to see if I match up with them.
- For my instrument – guitar or bass (4, 5 or 6 string)
- It’s got to look like music!!!
Don’t get me wrong, I still make use of guitar pro or powertab (which is free) for transcribing music and I read tab well – but now I – and you too, can read music just as well!